Thursday, September 30, 2010

PhilaU Textile Design Alums ('10) Leah Jackson and Lauren Gatto featured in Fashion Journal Summer '10.


What inspires you when designing?

Each collection has a different inspiration; some are based on visual components, some simply from words or combinations of words. As a fine arts and textile designer, I love doing research and finding my inspirations from areas of science, philosophy, art movements, worldwide street fashion and the natural world.

When did you create these pieces and what materials and construction techniques did you employ?

These garments were hand-knit in 2009 with yarns of many different fiber contents (rayon blends, cotton, wool blends etc). The inspiration for color, texture and shape is from ancient arts and metallurgy – Minoan, Sumerian and ancient African metal masks and jewelry, stone idols and god/goddess sculptures and armor.


What inspires you when designing?

My inspiration comes from my travels. I have been to over 15 different countries and have experienced many unique cultures. I feel as if I take a piece of each country everywhere I go. They are a part of me and naturally develop in my work

When did you create these pieces and what materials and construction techniques did you employ?

This is a handwoven collection for the UK women’s apparel company Monsoon. It was inspired by the actress Scarlett Johansson. I created it in Fall 2008, when I studied abroad in Galashiels, Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment