Thursday, March 26, 2020

Interview with Capstone student Courtney Locke

As we approach the end of the semester in a novel way, I wanted to continue our series of interviews with graduating students. They are always inspiring, but especially at times like these. The following is an interview with graduating senior in Textile Design, Courtney Locke.  She's been a true inspiration to her peers in her positivity, friendliness, and dedication to her craft.


"My name is Courtney Locke, I am from a small town called Towanda. I am sad to be graduating from this wonderful program, but I am very excited to start working in the textile industry, applying the knowledge I have gained."

How did you choose Textile Design as a major?

I didn't really choose it, it kind of fell into my lap by luck. I was going to go to Lock Haven for marketing, and by chance, my friend's mom's friend was at the same Thanksgiving dinner as me, and she told me all about how her goddaughter was thinking about applying. Without much thought, I applied and later went to shadow a student for a day. At the end of that day, I found out I got in, and I shed a few tears in front of the poor admissions officer. That was the moment I knew I was going to the right school. Then when I started in the fall, I truly knew I was in the right major at the right school.

What is your favorite book of all time?

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It's just a well-written book with a cool plotline.


What's the best piece of advice you've received from another designer?

"You got this" – pretty much everyone in the studio at one point. That was the best advice because I found a lot of times I was my biggest critic. Being surrounded by people who didn't let you give up on yourself was the best motivation to keep going. 

Which design from your portfolio are you most proud of, or is most special to you?

My chunky black and white floor-loom woven piece. These types of wovens are something I had always wanted to try, but the idea never fit well with any of the projects in my past classes. So when capstone gave me a broader ranger to experiment, I tried out this idea, and I believe it to be a very successful piece in my capstone collection.


Are there any techniques in textile design you'd like to explore further?

The possible applications of non-woven textiles. I am currently going through my parent's recyclables and trash to see if there are any uses to the plastic wrappers in any textiles or if they could be heat pressed together and then created into something new.

What do you have on your knitting machine/loom/sketchbook today?

Currently setting up my 4 harness table loom for at home Capstone work. Doing more print iterations in my sketchbook, but also trying to problem solve the best way to get the iterations from my sketchbook to Adobe. 


What kind of music do you listen to in your headphones?

Classical piano music- Tchaikovsky, Offenbach, Chopin.
Heavy Metal/Hair Bands- Motley Crew, Cattle Decapitation, Ratt, Van Halen, Five Finger Death Punch, Black Sabbath, Metallica 
Pop- Taylor Swift, Jonas Brothers, and Lizzo

What is your favorite thing to do to distract yourself from school stress?

Go on a run, try and get out of my own head for an hour.


What advice would you give an incoming student into the Textile Design department?

Take full advantage of the resources that this department has to offer and using the resources to further your creative exploration. 

What surprised you the most about Textile Design at Philau/Jefferson?

The most surprising or best part about textile design is the studio culture. It is one of the most positive and friendly spaces you will ever be in. With both your peers and the faculty creating such a wonderful environment to work in. I cannot stress that enough.


What is your favorite thing about Textile Design?

The people. All of the wonderful people that I have had the pleasure to meet, and be able to see just how crazy talented all of my peers are. 







No comments:

Post a Comment