Thursday, September 19, 2013

Summer Internship Experience

Many of our undergraduate and graduate students held internships this summer near and far. Here is a peek at how a few of our students spent their summers:


Meet Emily Weiss!


Where did you intern this summer and what was your main role?

I interned at Ralph Lauren in the Home Design Department. My main role was to assist the senior designers in bedding and bath design. I worked with mainly with the designers for TJmax, Kohls, and Chaps, but also with the designers for the Ralph Lauren Collection.

What surprised you the most during your internship experience?

I was surprised to learn how much work goes into making designs for the home. Especially at Ralph Lauren, every single aspect of a pattern or color has to embody the Ralph Lauren lifestyle. Everyone works so hard going back and forth with other designers to make the perfect textile for Ralph Lauren Home.

How did you feel your experience at Philadelphia University prepared you to take on and understand the tasks you were given this summer?

My experience at Philadelphia University has taught me a great deal over the years, but what really prepared me for this internship were my many design classes. Whether it was weaving, knitting, or print design, I used a little bit of everything working with the designers. They were surprised how much hands on work we do here, but I learned that it really gives you a strong background. Knowing how to use the basics of Photoshop and illustrator ahead of time also really helped, because everything is done on the computer! I was able to work closely with the senior designer, Jacqueline Beaulieu, who actually went to Philadelphia University! She taught me a lot of cad skills through giving me various design projects.

What new skills did you learn throughout your internship that you might not have learned in the classroom?

The internship at Ralph Lauren was a great experience for meeting people in the industry. We always discuss making connections for jobs after school, but doing this internship was the perfect opportunity to meet new people in the company, no matter what their position was. I learned it’s really all about making connections and that can take you anywhere. 

What was your favorite part of the job or working at the company?

My favorite part of the job was getting to experience the city. I’ve been there a million times before, but I’ve never lived and worked there every day.  It’s really an eye opening experience. There’s inspiration literally everywhere you go that you wouldn’t find somewhere else. My other favorite part of working at the company was being able to work with the people I did. I wasn’t expecting everyone to be so friendly and welcoming in such a big corporation, but they were more than that. They taught me new things every day and made sure I was enjoying myself. They take really good care of their interns.  

No comments:

Post a Comment