Friday, October 19, 2012

PhilaU Alum Interview: Anum Malik

Anum graduated from Philadelphia University in May 2012 with a BS in Textile Design and now works at Nike as a Footwear Material Designer. We caught up with her this past week to ask her for some insight with her experience at Nike as an intern, then as a full-time employee and how PhilaU has affected her work experience. Here's our Q&A:


Tell me a little bit about the Nike Internship experience: Was it project based? Was it job shadowing? Is it collaborative? 

The internship was project based, but pretty conceptual. Projects ranged from trend research, material construction, a collaboration with a footwear design intern, and an intern group project relating to sustainability. 

Is there anything that surprised you during your internship experience? 
One thing that stood out to me most is how willing Nike employees are to meet with you. It’s part of the culture here to network and listen to ideas, which makes it a really collaborative environment. 

How was the transition into your full-time position? Is it related to your internship experience? 
It’s related and different at the same time. My internship covered the basics and helped me conceptualize around footwear materials, and my job now involves applying what I learned to products-specifically Jordan Basketball footwear. 

What kind of knowledge that you gained from Philadelphia University did you apply during your internship/employment at Nike? 
I can honestly say that every aspect of textile design that I learned in school has been put to use here and given me a competitive advantage. I feel incredibly lucky to have had a balance of textile design and technical classes. My advice to students is to not take the technical classes for granted, in the long run they help you fully understand products which in my opinion makes you a better designer. 

How is textile design a part of footwear design? 
Simply put: Materials can make or break a shoe. 

Would you recommend this internship for PhilaU student and if so, what type of student would be best suited for the culture at Nike? 
I absolutely recommend this internship! I’d say be a storyteller. Have an opinion, and don’t be afraid of it. Take risks. Collaborate. Someone who is curious about designing the uniform of modern sport. And of course, have fun with your passions. 

Thanks Anum!

No comments:

Post a Comment