Monday, February 6, 2012

From Liz Weissert: Internship Insight

Our textile design print grad, Liz Weissert, shares her thoughts on her internship with Anthropologie:


Hi!  That’s me in front of that unstable shelving unit.  It needs to be replaced very soon. Although  I won’t be the one to break it down and replace it, I probably will be the one to take all of the books off then put all of them back on new shelves.  Among my other laborious tasks: completely gutting and organizing a room the size of my apartment.  Before you start to think my internship sucks and is tedious busy work, please put this into context:  I’m the Anthropologie Home Design Intern. 

Now that your point of view has shifted to mine, I will tell you that these books have been gifted from and have inspired the most creative minds I have come to know.  The task of gutting the room I have affectionately termed “the craft closet” is more like rummaging through the personal beloved treasures of a seasoned and fashionable curator(picture Sarah Moore’s stock in 20 years).  It houses Anthropologie’s trend boards from past seasons, mill samples of carpet, fabric, ornaments, ceramics, garments and textiles from all over the world, you name it.   It also has a never-ending supply of yarn and fabric in a seemingly infinite array of colors.

If anyone is still not convinced that my internship rocks, I started off talking about the less interesting parts of it, the best is yet to come.  The ever-amazing design director wants to work with me on designing a dinnerware collection.  Yes, me!  This opportunity will allow me to better learn a part of the industry I haven’t had much exposure to: hard goods for interiors.  My first 3 internships along with an assistantship have given me exposure to the worlds of interior fabrics, historic textile collections, designing prints for intimates, and color selection for apparel.  As my fourth and most likely final internship, this is truly the icing on the cake, and I look forward to being a part of it every day.  I will stop bragging now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment